Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences was part of the Faculty of Letters and Humanities before its detachment in 1988. The Faculty of Arts and Humanities was initially established in 1957.
Its accepted 84 students in two fields of History-and-Geography, and Persian Literature. The main fields included: Economics and Social Sciences (B.A., and M.A.), Physical Geography, and Geography and Urban Planning (B.A., M.A., and Ph.D.), Law (B.A.), Architecture (B.A.) since the establishment.Other branches included the Geographic Research Group, The Institute of History and Persian Culture, and Social Sciences Research Institute. The Faculty started publishing three quarterly journals in three different fields of Geography, Social Sciences, and History. The new Faculty of Geography and Planning was founded in 2012 taking a separate educational departement. The present departments of the Faculty include: Geography and Urban Planning (B.A., M.A. and Ph.D. Geomorphology (B.A., M.A. and Ph.D), Climatology (B.A., M.A. and Ph.D). Rural Planning (M.A. and Ph.D), GIS and Remote Sensing (B.A., and M.A.), Geographic Research Group (with educational (M.A.) and research bases). The Faculty of Geography and Planning has renamed to Faculty of Planning and Environmental Sciences in September 2017.
The Dean of the Faculty is Professor Shahram Roostaei (specialized in the field of Geomorphology), and the Deputies of the Faculty are Professor Ali Mohammad Khorshiddoust (Research Deputy, specialized in environmental studies), and Associate Professor Akbar Asghari Zamani (Educational Deputy, specialized in urban planning).